Fall Home Maintenance Checklist
Better Homes and Gardens
Fall is here and Winter is coming fast! In our region of the country, it is important to prepare your home for these seasons which can be brutal. Now is the time to tackle general maintenance projects because the weather is generally dry and temperatures are moderate. Before you start your seasonal checklist, examine your home's interior and exterior. Make note of items needing repair and categorize them in order of importance, 1 - most important to 5 - least important. Most of these tasks can be accomplished without the help of a professional, but it's always better to be safe and call for assistance if a project is beyond your abilities. Here are our seasonal home maintenance checklist improvement recommendations for fall:
- Rake leaves/pine needles and aerate the lawn.
- Replace furnace filter and have forced-air heating system inspected by a professional.
- Check the fireplace for damage or hazards and clean fireplace flues.
- Seal cracks/gaps in doors and windows with caulk or weather stripping; replace if necessary.
- Touch up and power wash exterior siding.
- Inspect roofing for missing, loose, or damaged shingles and leaks.
- Remove debris from gutters and downspouts.
- Fill cracks and gaps in the driveway and walkway.
- Winterize exterior plumbing, including hoses and in-ground sprinkler systems. Wrap insulation around outdoor faucets and pipes in unheated garages.
- Tune up major home appliances before the holidays.
- Replace batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Make sure you have a smoke detector on every floor of your home, including the basement.
- Vacuum lint from the dryer vent.
- Inspect exterior door hardware; fix squeaky handles and loose locks.
- Check the water heater for leaks.
- Prevent pests from hanging around the house by keeping firewood away from the house, trimming shrubs, and repairing rotten or broken woodwork. Remove any wasp nests hanging from eaves or overhangs.
I hope this checklist will help you get started preparing for the crazy Fall and Winter approaching Colorado. Remember I am here for all your real estate needs and can refer professionals to assist with any project you have. Feel free to call me at 719-964-7808.